- Influencer Marketing Campaign Tips for Success - April 22, 2021
- Email Marketing Strategy: Stats You Should Care About - April 14, 2021
- How The Pandemic Impacted Marketing - April 7, 2021
Even in a time where marketing includes flashy social media campaigns and elaborate videos, email marketing is in a league of its own. As the stats below show, a great email marketing strategy is vital for success. Here are 10 key email marketing stats.
10 Key Email Marketing Stats
- There are about 4 billion email users globally as of 2020
- An estimated 306.4 billion emails were sent per day in 2020
- The ROI for email marketing is about $42 for every $1 spent
- Welcome emails have an open rate of 50%-60%
- People respond best to between 4 and 8 emails per month
- About 70% of online shopping carts are abandoned
- 35% of emails are open based on the subject line
- 74% of marketers report that personalization increases customer engagement
- 20% of emails are opened within the first hour of being sent
- 46% of emails are opened on a mobile device
1. There are about 4 billion email users globally as of 2020
Emailing is so prominent that its users are measured in billions. In fact, about half of the world uses email. The number of email users has steadily increased, and that growth is expected to continue.
As the number of global email users, the number of emails sent daily is well into the billions. With a whopping 306.4 billion emails sent per day worldwide, it’s clear why a powerful email marketing strategy is a valuable tool for any business. The number of emails sent daily is also expected to grow.
3. The ROI for email marketing is about $42 for every $1 spent
Email marketing has a high ROI, or return on investment. Marketers can expect to churn out about $42 for every $1 they dedicate to this marketing tool.
4. Welcome emails have an open rate of 50%-60%
A first impression is always important, regardless of the medium. Welcome emails not only serve as your brand’s introduction, their open rates leaves other marketing emails in the dust. Aside from transactional emails such as receipts, welcome emails have one of the highest open rates.
5. People respond best to between 4 and 8 emails per month
Email send rate is a tricky dance. Too many emails and people are annoyed, or worse, they unsubscribe. At the same time, too few emails and you’ve lost their interest. Of course no two people are the same, but generally people don’t mind receiving weekly emails.
6. About 70% of online shopping carts are abandoned
That sounds like a troubling statistic, but it’s not as dire as it sounds. This is where the magic of abandoned cart emails comes in. An abandoned cart email series can help you push some of those abandoned carts to the checkout page.
The series usually starts as a gentle nudge that simply reminds the customer they were shopping for something. Eventually, the emails can include a discount offer or free shipping to entice the customer into sealing the deal.
7. 35% of emails are open based on the subject line
Of course, this is logical considering it’s one of the only things people can see without opening the email. A great subject line will tempt the customer to click.
8. 74% of marketers report that personalization increases customer engagement
Don’t just aimlessly fire emails into the abyss. By carefully curating your email marketing strategy, it will be more beneficial. People are more responsive to emails that are relevant to them, and this is where personalization and segmentation come in.
Personalization can include strategies such as personalized subject lines or addressing customers by name. You can even make emails feel more personal by sending them from a more human email address rather than a generic donotreply one.
Segmentation is simply a type of personalization. You can use this email marketing strategy to target customers based on interests, location, or purchase history.
9. 20% of emails are opened within the first hour of being sent
Emails not only reach billions of people, they reach them quickly. With nearly a quarter of all emails being opened within an hour, you can reach your audience almost instantly.
10. 46% of emails are opened on a mobile device
Gone are the days of sitting in front of a box shaped monitor and patiently waiting for the dial-up sounds to stop. With widespread smartphone use, we have little computers with us everywhere we go.